среда, 17 февраля 2010 г.

Russian Cuisine


So after spending roughly three weeks in Russia I feel like I am finally qualified to write about some of my favorite Russian foods and how the food is different from what I eat in America. My favorite thing I have eaten so far would definitely have to be the borscht. This is a traditional Russian soup you can get at the canteen which consists of very tasty broth and beetroots. Also you always get a healthy dollop of sour cream right in the middle. Another of our favorites is the Doner-kabob which roughly translates to rotating roast, and we have affectionately dubbed it "mystery meat". Honestly, I am not sure what meat is in the center but it is wrapped in this amazing flat bread packed with vegetables. Interestingly enough, this also comes with a healthy dollop of sour cream on top.

The biggest change Russia has brought about in my diet has been that I am eating much healthier. The fatty foods, heavy sugar use, and synthetic colorings simply do not exist in Russian cuisine and also make for some very tasty foods. I must admit I still have some American indulgences and have on occassion been known to buy a bottle of Coke every now and then.

1 комментарий:

  1. Hi Joey. Olga (my wife), had difficulties posting so I thought i would put this up for her...

    Joey,

    if you ever get to try a home made borsch, this is the best! To me, beets are not the main ingredient in a borsch, but potatoes and cabbage are. However, beets and also tomatoes give borsch its signature red color.

    Doner-kebab is a Turkish fastfood chain that has grown in popularity since it was first introduced in Russia sometime in the late 1990s. Doner-kebab is made of beef, as a rule.

    I am glad you are enjoying your experience! When you are in St . Pete, be sure to check out Dostoyevsky's apartment, which is a small museum now (дом-музей in Russian).

    ОтветитьУдалить